1. Rehearsals will be every Tuesday evening,6-8 and Thursday after school until 5. You cannot skip these practices to be involved in other activities that meet at the same time or overlap. We will also have weekend rehearsals at least once a month.
The after school rehearsals are MANDATORY. They are given well in advance for you to work out rides and let other programs know. The weekend choreography rehearsals are MANDATORY.
When we create our weekend schedule, we try to take any fall sports games and dance competitions into consideration. I need these dates no later than August 1st in order to be considered. Winter sports will not be considered, as that is our competition season. It is extremely difficult to play a winter sport and be in competitive show choir. You cannot miss choreography learning sessions, clinics, pow wows, or competitions! Be up front with your coaches about our calendar. If you still choose to play a winter sport, no requests will be taken to miss these types of practices, you'll have to miss the sports game.
2. Practice sheets will be given weekly and turned in to your team captains every Thursday.
3. Continued not practicing and lack of effort in rehearsal can result in dismissal from the group.
4. Students must bring music to all rehearsals. If they forget and call home, please do NOT bring it for them...trust me...then they will always forget it :) Let them run laps and do jumping jacks and hopefully they won't forget again :) This will instill in them discipline and preparation :)
5. Be on time. Period. I will be keeping track of tardies. Especially on weekend rehearsals, dress rehearsals, pow wows, etc. First offense, running laps/jumping jacks...apology to group. Second offense a bit more of the same. Third Offense, you will go in front of the group honor board. You will be given a chance to defend yourself, but your peers will decide a sentence which could be being benched from next activity...including a competition (which would really hurt the group as well). Fourth offense, Dismissal from group. Our time together is precious. I give you the calendar fully in advance, and I myself am always on time. I expect the same respect from all families as far as showing up on time.
6. Skipping rehearsals cannot be used as punishment, meaning you can't ground your student from South Spirit. If you choose to withdraw, he/she is pulled out completely. Keep in mind no refunds of deposits, payment, or fundraised money is refunded.
1. Please check the calendar on this site before emailing/texting asking what dates and times are...I've invested a lot of time and money into this site as a convenience for all of us...please use this first :) If you are confused, then feel free to contact me or a Board member.
2. All fees MUST be paid on time. We have TONS of opportunities to fund raise. Should your student not take advantage of them, costumes and traveling will be paid out of pocket.
3. If 8th graders run high school track in the spring, please keep in mind our "season" does not end until Oscars Night. They are still expected to attend rehearsals for Oscars, please make track coaches aware of our calendar.
4. If students make the cheer leading or basketball teams at South Middle, the coaches know when we have practice and compete. South Spirit practice cannot be missed.
The Show's Standards
1. We always do what's best for the show....please do not become a "Mama Rose" (term from the musical GYPSY, she was pushy, always thought her daughter should have the lead, etc). This is in regards to placement on stage, voice part, solos, partnering, etc. Please trust the judgement of the directors to put our best feet forward when it comes to giving solos and where your child is placed....height, costume color, showmanship, vocals, it all plays a part in balance. Just because a student is "up top" does not mean they are "worse" than someone down front. Just because a student likes to sing higher does not mean he/she will be a soprano. We have to stage what is best vocally and visually. Constant challenging on our artistic decisions, by student or parent, can result in dismissal from the program.
2. If you ever have concerns, I am always open. Please come directly to me in a respectful manner instead of murmuring to each other. This can cause and spread unwanted negativity. I cannot help you if I'm not aware, and I want to keep our program positive and gossip-free :) If we have discussed your concern please allow it to end there. Gossiping and complaining and spreading negative can result in your student being dismissed from the group. Our entire program surrounds itself with positivity.
3. Please do not share, talk, or post anything about our show until I give the go ahead. There have been a lot of show choir fiascoes in the past with copying...we like to keep our show under wraps as best as possible before competing....Plus it makes the Show Reveal to the Public a lot more exciting :)
1. Students must maintain a 2.0 to be in the group. They must have good moral character and represent this program in a positive manner. They cannot receive OSS or ISS. It is a case by case basis as far as punishment, but those things can be grounds for benching from an event, or being dismissed from the group.
2. No speaking or posting negative about each other, other groups, teachers, etc. Students must represent themselves in a positive manner on social media. If a conflict arises within the group, we will solve it right away...please come to me, our president, or a dance captain for help/mediation. The more unified we are, the stronger our performance.
3. You are responsible for your costumes. Please keep them safe and clean. They are not to be worn except for designated rehearsals and competitions. If you misplace or ruin them, something breaks, you outgrow it, you must purchase another one right away. The costume fee covers one complete costume.
-Parents Please be active. Our Booster Group's purpose is to support the director, show, and kids. Parents are required to assist with at least 1 fundraising event besides Oscars each year.
-Students can participate in all fundraising events. If we have an event you cannot attend in its full duration, let us know ahead of time. However, the money generated that day would not go to your account.
-All fees must be paid in order to attend trips and audition for the following year.
Fees: This is an ESTIMATE for the 2021-2022 year. We will have a more definite number after July 1st and it will be emailed. We will also utilize a payment plan. Your fundraising can off-set these costs completely, or you can pay out of pocket. Your choice. Please do not let lack of money keep you from auditioning...be willing to fundraise and find sponsors so you can participate. The Boosters are willing to help if you are willing to do the work.
Costume: Around $500
Travel to competitions/show fees: Around $300
No fees will be refunded if a student withdraws or is dismissed.
Additional Items You Will Need:
Boys: A labeled garment bag
Girls: Tan Tights, a tan leotard with clear straps, make up, a Labeled Garment Bag