1. Cell Phone Policy:
If your student brings a cell phone to rehearsal, it will be placed in a basket for the duration of rehearsal unless otherwise stated. If an emergency arises, the student will be given access to their phone. In the event of an emergency and you cannot reach your student, please use the REMIND app to contact me. If I am not reachable, please contact a Board Member and they will contact me.
2. Rehearsals will be every Tuesday evening, 6-8 and Thursday evening, 6-8. We will also have weekend rehearsals at least once a month. Weekend rehearsals are scheduled well in advance, so they CANNOT be skipped for any reasons.
The Tuesday and Thursday rehearsals are MANDATORY. They are given well in advance for you to work out rides and let other programs know. The weekend choreography rehearsals are also MANDATORY.
When we create our weekend schedule, we try to take any fall sports games and dance competitions into consideration. I need these dates no later than August 1st in order to be considered. Winter sports will not be considered, as that is our competition season. It is extremely difficult to play a winter sport and be in competitive show choir. You cannot miss choreography learning sessions, clinics, pow wows, final dress rehearsals, or competitions! Be up front with your coaches about our calendar. If you still choose to play a winter sport, no requests will be taken to miss these types of practices, you'll have to miss the sports game.
We love that show choir is a place where athletes, dancers and singers can collaborate. Having such people can only benefit our group, so we do not want to completely discourage it, but we are an award-winning group. The only way we can defend that title is if we have everyone at every rehearsal. In the past, we have been able to work with dance/sports schedules, but keep in mind that our competition season begins in January and does not end until April. Those will be the times where consistent attendance will be crucial!
3. Practice sheets will be given weekly and turned in to your team captains every Thursday. Parents are to sign off on the students practice sheets. Falsifying practice sheets will not be tolerated and may result in dismissal from the group. I'd rather the student and parent be honest. Not practicing is evident during rehearsals and hinders the group from achieving its full potential.
4. Continued not practicing and lack of effort in rehearsal can result in dismissal from the group.
5. Students must bring music to all rehearsals. If they forget and call home, please do NOT bring it for them...trust me...then they will always forget it :) Let them run laps and do jumping jacks and hopefully they won't forget again :) This will instill in them discipline and preparation :)
6. Be on time. Period. I will be keeping track of tardies. Especially on weekend rehearsals, dress rehearsals, pow wows, etc. First offense, running laps/jumping jacks...apology to group. Second offense a bit more of the same. Third Offense, you will go in front of the group honor board. You will be given a chance to defend yourself, but your peers will decide a sentence which could be being benched from next activity...including a competition (which would really hurt the group as well). Fourth offense, Dismissal from group. Our time together is precious. I give you the calendar fully in advance, and I myself am always on time. I expect the same respect from all families as far as showing up on time.
7. Skipping rehearsals cannot be used as punishment, meaning you can't ground your student from South Spirit. If you choose to withdraw, he/she is pulled out completely. Keep in mind no refunds of deposits, payment, or fundraised money is refunded.
8. Rehearsal Attire is the Following: Practice shirts (given at camp week) shorts, joggers, or leggings. Tennis shoes are required. No jeans, slippers, or bare or socked feet. Hair must be pulled back. All clothing must adhere to the school dress code. If a student arrives at rehearsal unprepared, they will be required to remain at rehearsal but will not be permitted to participate in choreography.
9. All parents and students are required to use the Remind app for all communication purposes in regards to rehearsals, absences, illnesses and any other show related issues. If your student does not have a cell phone or is under the age of 13, you as a parent must relay any communication via Remind to your student. I must be informed directly by the parent if the student will be missing rehearsals. Please refrain from having another student or parent relay this information to me. Non-communicated absences will be considered "No Show's" and may result in dismissal from the group. DO NOT contact me on my private email, cell phone, or social media. All communication received in this manner will be ignored. Only the Board members will have my private cell phone number and I ask it not be shared.
1. Please check the calendar on this site before emailing/texting asking what dates and times are...I've invested a lot of time and money into this site as a convenience for all of us...please use this first :) If you are confused, then feel free to contact me or a Board member.
2. All fees MUST be paid on time. We have TONS of opportunities to fund raise. Should your student not take advantage of them, costumes and traveling will be paid out of pocket.
3. If 8th graders run high school track in the spring, please keep in mind our "season" does not end until Oscars Night. They are still expected to attend rehearsals for Oscars, please make track coaches aware of our calendar.
4. If students make the cheer leading or basketball teams at South Middle, the coaches know when we have practice and compete. South Spirit practice cannot be missed.
The Show's Standards
1. We always do what's best for the show....please do not become a "Mama Rose" (term from the musical GYPSY, she was pushy, always thought her daughter should have the lead, etc.). This is in regards to placement on stage, voice part, solos, partnering, etc. Please trust the judgement of the director to put our best feet forward when it comes to giving solos and where your child is placed....height, costume color, showmanship, vocals, it all plays a part in balance. Just because a student is "up top" does not mean they are "worse" than someone down front. Just because a student likes to sing higher does not mean he/she will be a soprano. We have to stage what is best vocally and visually. Constant challenging on our artistic decisions, by student or parent, can result in dismissal from the program.
2. If you ever have concerns, I am always open. Please come directly to me in a respectful manner instead of murmuring to each other. This can cause and spread unwanted negativity. I cannot help you if I'm not aware, and I want to keep our program positive and gossip-free :) If we have discussed your concern please allow it to end there. Gossiping and complaining and spreading negativity can result in your student being dismissed from the group. Our entire program surrounds itself with positivity.
3. Please do not share, talk, or post anything about our show until I give the go ahead. There have been a lot of show choir fiascoes in the past with copying...we like to keep our show under wraps as best as possible before competing....Plus it makes the Show Reveal to the Public a lot more exciting :)
4. During our competition season, January through April, all performers MUST keep their hair and nails a natural or neutral color. (NO florescent colors, Red, Orange, Green, Blue, etc.) There will be NO exceptions to this standard.
1. Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA to be in the group. They must have good moral character and represent this program in a positive manner. They cannot receive OSS or ISS. It is a case by case basis as far as punishment, but those things can be grounds for benching from an event, or being dismissed from the group.
2. No speaking or posting negatively about each other, other groups, teachers, etc. Students must represent themselves in a positive manner on social media. If a conflict arises within the group, we will solve it right away. Please come to me, the director firstly, not a board member for help/mediation. If the issue needs further attention or continues, then we, together, will approach the Board. The more unified we are, the stronger our performance.
3. Bullying WILL NOT BE TOLERATED! Any situation where a student is found to be, or is observed bullying another group member(s), will be addressed immediately. Once the situation has been addressed, if the behavior continues, the student WILL be dismissed from the group.
4. Personal Property/Space
Property: All students’ will be responsible for their own property. If a students’ property becomes damaged due to neglect, South Spirit is not responsible for its replacement. If a students’ property is damaged or stolen due to another South Spirit member, the members parent/guardian will be held responsible for its return or replacement. If this arises, the parties involved will determine a solution. If a student is caught stealing another students’ property, the guilty party will immediately be dismissed from the group!
Personal Space: Students will respect one another’s personal space. ANY unwanted physical contact, violent or non-violent, will be grounds for dismissal. There will be NO exceptions or 2nd chances for ANY violent contact. If a student expresses their concern about any non-violent, unwanted contact, there will be 1, and only 1, warning. The next offense will result in dismissal from the group.
5. You are responsible for your costumes. Please keep them safe and clean. They are not to be worn except for designated rehearsals and competitions. If you misplace or ruin them, something breaks, you outgrow it, you must purchase another one right away. The costume fee covers one complete costume.
1. Parents Please be active. Our Booster Group's purpose is to support the director, show, and kids. Parents are required to assist with at least 1 fundraising event besides Oscars each year.
2. Students can participate in all fundraising events. If we have an event you cannot attend in its full duration, let us know ahead of time. However, the money generated that day would not go to your account.
3. All fees must be paid in order to attend trips and audition for the following year.
Fees: This is an ESTIMATE for the 2023-2024 year. We will have a more definite number after July 1st and it will be emailed. We will also utilize a payment plan. Your fundraising can off-set these costs completely, or you can pay out of pocket. Your choice. Please do not let lack of money keep you from auditioning...be willing to fundraise and find sponsors so you can participate. The Boosters are willing to help if you are willing to do the work.
Costume: Around $700
Travel to competitions/show fees: Around $300
Rehearsal T-Shirt: $25
Prize Fee: $25
No fees will be refunded if a student withdraws or is dismissed.
Additional Items You Will Need:
Boys: 3-ring binder, white tee shirt, black socks, water
Girls: 3-ring binder, hair tiebacks, skin-color tights, a skin-color leotard with clear straps, skin color dance shorts, make up, water